Sunday, April 10, 2011

Natural hair: Natural homemade deep conditioner for stronger and healthy hair

I made Friday evening a deep conditioning mixture that one of my maid used on my hair when I was in elementary school. Every Sunday afternoon as she would do our hair ( twin sister and me), she would shampoo our hair and make a mixture of egg yolk and olive oil that she would apply for 45 minutes before rinsing and braiding our hair.
I don't know why it never occurred to me to do it until now! Like I said in a recent post, a lot of pleasant childhood memories have resurfaced in my mind and this recipe is one of them. The only difference is that I added coconut oil.


I started with
  • one egg yolk
  • a tablespoon of EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • a tablespoon of coconut oil (optional)
  • The one ingredient I did not add that I would greatly suggest adding is Honey! I abstained from adding some in this mixture because I did not have any more raw honey and I just did not want to add the commercial brand I had on hand and my treatment was a spare of the moment thing.

Then I just mixed all the ingredients! The texture was just like a commercial conditioner would be since my coconut oil was still in it's solid form!





I shampoo my hair with a commercial shampoo and then applied the mixture. I was not satisfy with the quantity so I made some more this time without the coconut oil! I mixed one egg yolk and one tablespoon of EVOO! This was enough to saturate my hair.
I put on a shower cap and vacated to the rest of my activities ( tackling the laundry and having a devotion time with my children)


You could leave it for 30-45 minutes but since I was not in any rush I just thought the longer the better so I kept mine on for well over an hour!

I rinsed it out by adding some apple cider vinegar to the rinse water...




And I applied some olive oil to moisturize my hair and let it air dry! Voila!





Please do not have egg white in that mixture otherwise you will be spending your time picking up egg from your hair!

The next day I deep conditioned my daughter's hair as well.  I used the same ingredients except that I added some honey.



I did not have to make any extra conditioner for her hair and I followed the same procedure up until the time I rinsed her hair.



After rinsing her hair I did not add olive oil to moisturize her hair! I simply finished her hair treatment by applying some mousse to her hair.





There she is after her shampoo and deep conditioning!



Since I love to recycle things, I used the egg white from my deep conditioning and hers to make a face mask. After beating the egg white I added  a tablespoon of coffee to the egg white just for antioxidant and the scrub feel. This mask can be made with the egg white alone but since I generally use some coffee as a facial or body scrub I added some to the mix I figure it might as well add some to the mix!


Facial mask with leftover egg white and used coffee. More on that in my next post!



Final result, Mother & Daughter enjoying their natural look after a healthy homemade deep conditioner!





In case you wonder why use egg yolk in my homemade deep conditioner:
Hair are made of protein
Eggs are protein
Eggs' protein will straighten the hair follicle
Eggs make the hair smooth and easier to comb and keep the hair from tangling That is if you are combing. In our cases we left our hair curly!
Well just a few benefits I am aware of, there might be more so feel free to share!

Have you used egg yolk before to condition your hair? What was your experience? What natural ingredients do you generally use to deep condition your hair? Do you know any additional benefits to using egg yolk in your hair? Have you ever had the unpleasant experience of having egg white in your hair?How did remove them?


N'na

7 comments:

  1. This looks great sis!!!
    Thanks for passing by my blog, showing some love and following, it is much appreciated!


    www.datfunkyfro.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and yes I have used egg before and I used both the yolk and egg white...I had egg pieces stuck in my hair and it took me soo much time to take them out!!! Not only that but the smell is just so unpleasant. It does give protein and is great a protein treat if you need a little boost but it's not so effective to my hair and so therefore the bother is not worth it... Thanks for the post again! ;)


    www.datfunkyfro.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I can imagine the frustration of removing some egg white from your hair! Thanks for stopping by and sharing your experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so tired of worrying about goin out to buy conditioner when I run out. I'm very intrigued by this recipe, but please be honest: what's the smell like? Does the apple cider vinegar help to get rid of an unpleasant, eggy scent?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this looks interesting! I have to give this a go, although I admit to never actually using a home made recipe for my hair. I hope this mix keeps up the good work that my regular conditioner does! I got one from beyas.ca called Pro Naturals Moroccan argan oil conditioner and it’s been heaven for my hair, no more hair loss, no frizz and much healthier looking. Let’s give these a try then!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting information. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you do want to use the whole egg (there is good stuff in the whites, too), just rinse with cool water - then the egg doesn't get cooked into your hair. I personally LOVE masks with egg in them! Bananas are also a good add in for controlling frizz. Just FYI. BTW - you & your daughter are A-dor-able!!

    ReplyDelete