Sunday, July 1, 2012

Good Eat: Healthy smoothie recipe for weight loss


                              Homemade (protein) smoothie for weight loss
                                              by Goodhealthdiva


This recipe is the way I made my smoothie earlie today. I always play around with my ingredients but my staples are Flaxseed, Coconut oil, Turmeric and other herbs. I keep a variety of frozen fruits and have fun with my recipe. I sometimes use apple juice or homemade citrus juices instead of almond milk especially when adding veggies.
The benefits of this recipe
This recipe contains no sweeteners except for the natural sweetness of the fruits selected.
It will fill you up thanks to and ingredients like Flaxseed and coconut oil.

My Ingredients







1 cup of Almond Milk 
 ¼ cup of Flaxseed 
 1 large spoon Coconut oil (melted)*
Frozen fruits of choice. here I had (6) Strawberries & (3 pieces) banana.
I use the bananas as my natural sweetener. It keeps me from adding sugar or honey. I do limit the amount of bananas to just a few pieces because bananas are high in calories.

1 Yoplait Greek yogurt
Herbs:  1/8 tsp each of Oregano powder, Fennel powder and Turmeric powder.

Put all the ingredients in the blender starting with the Almond milk and blend for a few minutes.

Serve and sprinkle with cinnamon for additional weight loss benefits and natural sweetness.


Why Almond milk? Almond milk provides twice the calcium of dairy milk and almonds are healthy proteins with many health benefits.

Why Coconut oil? Coconut oil is a healthy fat, great for athlete, packed with health benefits and assist with weight loss.

Why Flaxseed? Flaxseed will over needed bulk to your smoothie and protein. Flaxseed contains omega 3 fats and Alpha Lipoic Acid known to help with weight loss reduction.

Why Greek yogurt? Greek Yogurt has twice the protein of regular yogurt. For more info on Greek yogurt ‘s benefits read:  http://www.goodhealthdiva.blogspot.com/2012/07/healthy-choices-benefits-of-greek.html

Why frozen fruits? Your fruits do not have to be frozen. I freeze mine because they last longer and I can simply reach out for them at anytime for my smoothies. I also like the fact that the frozen texture will ‘bulk’ my smoothie and keep me from adding ice to my mixtures.  When I happen to have fresh fruits available I mix some frozen fruits with the fresh ones.
                       
Why Oregano? Oregano has more antioxidant than most fruits and many health benefits.
Why Fennel? Fennel provides great fiber and bulk to your smoothie, good for digestion and offers weight loss benefits. Fennel has many other health benefits.
Why Turmeric? Turmeric is widely use in India for its health benefits to learn more check the link http://goodhealthdiva.blogspot.com/2011/01/benefits-of-turmeric.html  and JOIN the site www.goodhealthdiva.blogspot.com for additional health ideas.




*You want to make sure to melt your Coconut oil before blending otherwise it tends to harden creating small tiny white balls in your drink. Due to the summer heat I didn’t have to melt it but during the winter I put a little in a ramekin or small bowl and keep it next to the stove while I boil some water or cook some food.



Thanks for stopping by, sharing your comments, Following , Liking the FB page, subscribing by email, sharing with your friends and all those good stuffs...(smiles) Until next time have a better and healthier life... N'na

7 comments:

  1. Thanks a lot! The smoothie came out amazing, I made a tiny adjustment to it by adding some peanut butter for extra protein and fiber. But the smoothie overall is delicious! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's true that I could have added peanut butter, my husband adds some all the time to his smoothies.

      Delete
  2. I have lost 21 pounds usuing this smoothie. It' s a must try. I found it on pintrest http://getupandgetmoving.net/2012/03/jills-spinach-raspberry-flaxseed-oil-shake-as-seen-on-dr-oz/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing this recipe you are right it's worth trying.Congrats on your weight loss!!!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for your healthy recipe. I was searching for a nice for receipt that helps to lose weight.Thanks for providing one. Can you suggest me with some more recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the way you serve it like a cocktail drink, because we eat/drink with out eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel! I tend to eat better when my food looks good even if it's something simple! I eat and drink a lot with my eyes like you lovely put it!
      Please join us on our Facebook page if you are on Facebook. It would be great to meet/interact with you there!

      Delete